Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Car Seat Drama

So I have decided to tell on myself in this post. I am not proud at all of my mothering abilities today but I figure with all the good I report, I must also post the occasional mishap on this parenting journey. So when Ramsey was born I had gotten one of those car seat travel systems which has been a really good thing thus far. I never fully read the instruction manual (I never do). I realized today that when you become a mother you don't have the luxury to just blow some things off. My mom and I were going to take Ramsey to pick strawberries in Calhoun and we were just headed out of the neighborhood when a dog ran in front of the car and my mom swerved to avoid hitting the obviously oblivious creature. As she did Ramsey's car seat tilted sideways. I said "oh, jeez" (not really but cursing on a blog doesn't seem quite appropriate). So we stopped to inspect the mishap only to realize it was not a quick fix. Over the past 4 months the car seat had been a little less than perfect but each time we would get all our stuff plus Ramsey to the car I did not think of it. Well, I suppose God sent me a definite sign today so I decided I could not in good consciousness not figure it out and fix it once and for all. As a mother I have to figure it out. There is no other choice when someone so small is depending on me to keep him safe. So I called the health department because they do car seat installation and inspection. The lady was really nice and hopefully it is ALL GOOD now. I beat myself up about it, that I had not done something before now. Thankfully he is safe and I will absolutely do better for him in the future. So I might have failed today but thankfully there is always tomorrow to strive to do better. Needless to say we did not make it strawberry picking but hopefully soon and this time with a safe little boy and more conscientious mother.



I also have to give shout out to my friend from college and fellow blogger, Lindsey(Paramore) Oliver. She and her husband Jace welcomed their first son in to world yesterday. They named him Luke and he is perfect!

1 comment:

Amanda L said...

Tara,it hurts my heart that you are so hard on yourself. We do the best we can and that is all we can do. You are a great mom.