Friday, April 25, 2008

This is hard stuff


Well, in case you are not aware and are interested, there has been lots of stuff on the news, in the paper, and in many articles this past week about harmful plastics. There is a concern that baby bottles have a harmful type of plastic (Bisphenol-A or BPA) in them that could be potentially dangerous to children. At first I thought it was no big deal, and it certainly might not be. It seems like there are new studies ALL the time and it is hard to make heads or tails of it usually. I mean are vaccines safe? Should I be worried about lead in his toys? It is enough to make you crazy if you let it. How do you know what is the right thing to do? As a parent I have decided all I can do it to educate myself the best I can and then make the best decision from there. I can't be worried all the time because that will make me a miserable person and and a way too cautious mother. Ramsey has been using the Avent bottles which I have really liked thus far. They have been banned in Canada recently due to the the harmful plastic in them. Can I consciously continue to use something that has been banned in a neighboring country? So I checked into this new bottle company today called "Born Free" and they seem to have it together and offer glass and plastic bottles that don't contain the BPA plastic. So I have gotten a few to try on him to make sure he'll do okay with the switch before I go investing in a whole new supply of them. I am glad there is continuous research on baby stuff and I'll just try to make the most informed decisions I can. As a parent it is really hard but it is my job to try to make Ramsey's little world as safe as possible without going crazy in the process. I am also very grateful to Cope for working so hard so that we have the funds to do the best we can for our son. We have very different roles this year but we are dedicated to the same amazing cause...Ramsey.

1 comment:

Lindsey Oliver said...

Our pediatrician actually recommended Avent bottles, so that is all we bought. I've seen the headlines/emails, too, about the contaminants. I might have to run to Babys R Us and exchange them for this Born Free brand.

Hope you're having a great weekend!