Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Becoming a Mother


So let me begin by being totally honest...It is HARD WORK! It is definitely the steepest learning curve I've ever experienced. I remember them wheeling us into the recovery room soon after delivery and the nurse said "OK, he needs to be fed every 2 hours and changed about that often" I thought "feed him what?" I had no idea how to breastfeed, burp a baby, or even change such a tiny persons diaper. I did not know what I was doing and I needed HELP! I mean I just pushed a this kid out and I still had more work to do? Needless to say I did figure it out. I learned how to breastfeed, how to change a diaper while caring for a circumcision, and also that you can't die from lack of sleep (I think I got 3 hours in the 72 I was in the hospital). Once Ramsey was born I was literally confused as to how people had more than one child. I certainly understood the first time he smiled at me. Ramsey is the best gift I've ever been given and I am so grateful at the end of each exhausting day. When I lay my head on my pillow I thank God for thinking enough of Cope and I to give us such a wonderful child. I hate that Cope's journey to fatherhood is delayed a bit but he is already the best and bravest Daddy that Ramsey could hope for.

2 comments:

MemyselfandI said...

I know what you're talking about when you said "feed him what"? Dana was born 7:43 p.m. and they didn't let me hold her AT ALL until 9:00 a.m. the next day. The nurse brought her in and I took her and PLAYED with her until the nurse came back in for her. She asked "how did she eat?" I said "EAT?" She said YOU DIDN'T FEED HER?? I said NO I didn't know I was supposed to!! Heck, it was the first time I had even TOUCHED her and they didn't show me what I was supposed to do TO FEED HER!

WT said...

such a beautiful picture Tara!