Friday, May 30, 2008

Conscious Living

Recently I have decided to try to live with more consciousness in my daily life. I truly don't want to sleep walk through any of it. I also want to try to be the best example for Ramsey that I can be. I have spent the past few months just observing how wasteful we are as a country. Don't get me wrong in that I love Publix but when I do my grocery shopping I seriously have almost as many plastic bags as do groceries. So I have decided to take my own canvas bags when I go shopping and if I forget to bring them in to a store I ask the clerk to try to put my items in as few bags as possible or no bag at all. I have also started to recycle this past week. I was absolutely obsessed with recycling when we lived at Ft.Drum, NY. It was so easy there in that they provided the bins and just picked them up with your other garbage each week. I enjoy making a game out of trying to see how little actual trash we can have each week. In my observations I have also realized how much junk we as consumers eat. I am as guilty as the next person here. I love comfort food. Maybe it is that I just that I want to shed the last 5 lbs of baby weight or maybe it is that I want to look my best for my husband whom I haven't seen in almost 10 months but in living a more conscious life I also want to pay attention to what is going in my body. I am definitely not an extremest by any means but if I'm not treating myself right how can I really expect anyone else too? I feel like from the moment we come into the world we are all on our own personal journey. One that hopefully is lifelong excavation to our best life. I want to give my son the best tools I possibly can and know that when he goes off to a life of his own that I did the best I could for him and that I still know who I am as an individual. An individual that I can look at at the end of each day hopefully truly like. All this is to say that I am not becoming some "hippe" but I am hopefully going to try to live a life I can be a little more proud of.

No comments: